Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Waxing Prolific, a little

I don't tend to wax prolific about much or often. And come to think of it, I probably won't now either. I tend to get to the point, usually. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my life is so blessed, I rarely have much to say other than just that: I'm blessed. I think using the word "blessed" makes some people uncomfortable. I don't care anymore. Because that is my life: blessed and there is no other word for it.

Lately it's been in my face more. How can it not be? The economy crumbles around us, people even my profession, are losing their jobs. More and more people aren't even able to live from pay check to pay check anymore - ends are not meeting. Meanwhile, I'm comfy and worrying about having to work just shy of full time for 12 weeks this summer.

But today, two other lives brushed mine and reminded again, in no uncertain terms, how precious life is and how blessed I am. A patient of mine came in to see me in follow up after loosing her daughter at 22 weeks gestation. She's devastated. We just cried for a while together. My heart aches for her. I remember when I had my first screening ultrasound when I was pregnant with Kai. I was about 19 weeks along. As soon as I saw him on the monitor, I realized I wasn't sure why I was having a screening ultrasound at all. It didn't matter if anything was "wrong" with him - I loved him so, so very much, even though he was only 19 weeks old and I'd only been aware of him for about 14 weeks. It's amazing how I could love a little being so much, even though I'd never met him. So I could empathize just a tiny bit with my patient and even in that tiny bit, it was awful.

Later in the day, I learned of a suicide. She was young woman I'd never met, but one who had a bright future. How dark and horrible her life must have been to have taken such action. I went through a short period in my life in which I had wished I could go to sleep and wake up when it was all over. I was in pain emotionally and didn't want to have feel that awful hurt anymore. It was terrible time in my life, but with friends and family close by I muddled through. Thankfully, I knew I'd feel better someday and thankfully, my support network worked overtime to help me. Again, I can empathize just a tiny bit with what this young woman was going through. My heart also aches for this young woman's family and friends.

Many times a day I think my life is hard. It isn't. Really, it isn't. Yes, it is busy, very, very busy. But busy is good. My life is full, I should say. Yes, full. It's filled with life. health. stability. children. an incredibly loving, patient, wise and generous husband. a doting, wonderful mom. dozens and dozens of devoted, interesting, and invested friends.

Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

1 comment:

Paul Hamilton said...

Thanks for sharing these reflections, Birdie. You are indeed blessed, and so am I. Life is filled with challenges that so easily shift focus away from the countless blessings. --Paul